Hey, remember me? God, was it really February when I last posted? My bad. I guess life's been, well, lively the last few (or five) months, and is only just now starting to calm down a bit. Let me explain... No, there is too much. Let me sum up.
- We put our house on the market back in... the end of February, I guess. Which entailed a lot of cleaning out of closets and putting of junk in storage and straightening the crap out of the whole damn place, not to mention a quick kitchen renovation. Sabrina Soto's got nothing on me when it comes to home staging, lemme tell you.
- A month later, Mr. Sus lost his job. Well, he didn't lose it, exactly, it just ended. Since he's a contractor, that's what happens, and we knew it was coming, we just thought it wasn't coming until June. C'est la vie.
- A week after that, we got two offers on the house. So we went out and found our dream house in our dream neighborhood and got a pretty good darned good deal on it. The usual nightmare of house-buying paperwork, incessant worry, and yet more paperwork ensued.
- A month later, we moved into our dream house. And we love, love, love our new neighborhood, which is historic and eclectic and has a small town feel but is just outside of downtown and convenient to all the stuff we love to do. And our street is full of fun, interesting, friendly neighbors with kids the munchkin's age.
- Since then we've mostly been unpacking (we've still got a whole room of nothing but boxes) and enjoying hanging out with our new neighbors. Well, and somewhere in there was a week at OBX with mikijean
and other friends, and a weekend in Atlanta for the sister-in-law's wedding, and a couple of day trips down to Galveston (on the last of which, a dolphin swam RIGHT BY ME!). Oh, and yesterday I threw an Amazing Race party for the munchkin's birthday, which, as you can imagine, required no preparation whatsoever.
Overall, it's been an amazing summer -- the constant niggling worry about money and Mr. Sus' lack of a job notwithstanding. We had lots of savings and we've still got quite a bit to go, so we're trying not to stress too much. And honestly, it's been great having him home all summer. The munchkin was only in camp for two weeks this year, so mostly the three of us have just been having a blast being together.
Also, something about being in the new house has motivated me to start writing again. It's possibly because our bedroom is now big enough that we've turned half of it into a library, complete with a half dozen floor-to-ceiling bookcases (just barely enough to hold all our books) and a small desk. Eventually (when we have, you know, money again) we'll add a couple of comfy leather chairs, but it's already the perfect writer's retreat where I can shut myself away from the noise and clutter of the rest of the house. It's also possible that my newfound motivation has less to do with the new space and more to do with the recent increase in my general level of contentment. Whatever, I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth.
So, what's been going on with ya'll lately?